Friends of the Big Bear Alpine Zoo
Docent / Volunteer Program
Donate your time and talents to the Big Bear Alpine Zoo!
Docents / Volunteers are always needed, and there are plenty of opportunities.
This program is for people who enjoy learning about wildlife and the environment,
and like working with people who feel the same.
Volunteer DocentsWhat is a Docent? A Docent is a visiting teacher, lecturer or tour guide. Docent Opportunities
- Tours - conduct or help with tours of the Zoo for schools, churches, camp groups, as well as visitors from around the world
- Travel with some of the educational animals and their keepers to schools and off-site locations
- Roamer - Educating the public about our zoo and its unique residents
Volunteers can help with a variety of activities around the zoo,
below are some examples:
- All Docents / Volunteers must enjoy working with adults and children.
- All Docents / Volunteers must purchase a “Friends of the Big Bear Alpine Zoo” shirt, as there is a uniform requirement.
- All Docents / Volunteers must be a member in good standing with the “Friends of the Big Bear Alpine Zoo”.
- All Docents / Volunteers must conduct themselves in a professional manner.
- MUST be a least 18 years of age
- All Docents / Volunteers MUST maintain a membership with the Friends of the Big Bear Alpine Zoo.
- All Docents / Volunteers MUST be fingerprinted and background checked by the County of San Bernardino. This service is offered free of charge through the Big Bear Valley Recreation & Park District, AFTER the required training classes have been completed. Until this process has been completed AND approved, your ability to participate will be very limited. The fingerprinting and background check is for the safety of the zoo visitors, and is required by law.
- You will only be considered a Docent / Volunteer AFTER you have been approved for the program.
OR if you prefer to mail in your application, you can pick one up at:
41220 Park Ave., Big Bear Lake, CA 92315(From Big Bear Blvd, turn north onto Mountainaire. When you get to Park Ave., in front of you will be a driveway into Swim Beach. We are located in the parking lot of Swim Beach, in the building to your right.)
For additional information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (909) 878-4200